Thursday, January 7, 2010

Reflection and Meditation Poem for Hard Times

Life's a Dot
by Joseph J Charles

I only barely exist between the day I was born
And the time, hour, minute or second I will die
How much I have achieved depends
On how I sum up all the little parts and moments in between
How many times have I forgotten to enjoy life's small things?
Life is only a dot. A line would be too long

I did not know when I was born
Nor will I know when I die
In this vacuum, all men and women equally co-exist
We count time by the number of breaths we take
By the uplifting moments, failure as well as success
One day, we are happy. The next day, our hearts sink

On this beautiful morning, I see the hawk diving for a squirrel
It resurfaces with empty beaks and claws. Life is about triumphs and setbacks
On a cold bench, I sit down to enjoy the timid sunshine on a crispy Winter day
The stomping feet of children, joggers, and runners can be heard at the park
The hawk is calmly perched now. A photographer approaches with a camera
We are all interdependent species. Yet, we live as if there is no tomorrow


(Poem written to sympathize with the sudden illness of a co-worker and after enjoying Woodwark Park or the Great Outdoors. I was looking at Children's Hospital Central California's building..)

No comments:

Post a Comment